Secret Compass TV are expanding their range of services in support of the international TV and Film production industries. In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, SCTV are opening a COVID-19 screening laboratory in Bristol and are recruiting several laboratory technicians to provide shift cover for this busy venture. Whilst initially this role is Bristol-based, there is potential for future opportunities for work across the UK and abroad.
OUTLINE OF ROLE:
You will be part of a small team of bench scientists running assays screening for SARS-COV-2 in human biological specimens. Scientists will work, often independently, to prepare samples e.g. human nasopharyngeal swabs, extract RNA, and run RT-LAMP with a validated COVID-19 method.
All roles will require:
• Work in BSL-2 laboratory or in point-of-care settings as required.
• Work with human biological specimens.
• Work with samples which may contain SARS-COV-2.
• Working and communicating across a fast-paced cross-organisational team.
• Strictly following standard operating procedures (SOPs).
• Independent shift work.
Operationally all staff will report to the Senior Laboratory Technician, Operations Manager and Medical Director. There are multiple, flexible roles available and different working patterns can be accommodated. This is an excellent role for an experienced technician keen to part of an exciting start-up with future opportunities for work outside of the Bristol area as the company grows.
• Confirmation that samples delivered to the designated assessment area are correctly accounted for on the specimen manifest, quickly communicating any errors.
• Safe removal of specimen transport tubes from packaging according to relevant SOPs, identification and reporting of any compromised or incorrectly labelled samples.
• Correct recording of received samples in LIMS prior to screening.
• Heat inactivation of samples prior to opening according to SOP.
• RNA extraction and RT-LAMP assay according to SOP.
• Recording and reporting of results back to Secret Compass using the relevant IT system.
• To follow all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Risk Assessments as applicable and in which the individual has been trained.
• Timely and accurate completion of all paperwork.
• To adhere to all site Health & Safety policies and procedures, as well as Good Microbiological Laboratory Practice.
• Further-education degree/diploma in a microbiological subject, or equivalent relevant experience.
• Experience working in a BSL-2 standard laboratory.
• Experience in handling potentially infectious human biological specimens.
• Experience of RNA extraction and PCR assays.
• Competent in the use of LIMS or other IT platforms that collate, track and report samples.
• Experience of working independently in a relevant laboratory setting.
• Experience of following SOPs and adhering to Risk Assessments/H&S guidance.
• Capable use of Microsoft Office – e.g., Outlook, Excel, Word.
• Excellent communication skills to be able to work across a fast-paced organisational team, including staff with no scientific background
• Willingness to work flexible hours (including nights) according to changing client requirements.
• Excellent problem-solving capabilities.
• Higher-education degree/diploma in a microbiological subject, or equivalent relevant experience.
• Experience of running RT-LAMP assays
• Experience of inventory management.
Please complete this application form and attach a PDF CV. Applications will close on the 10 October at the latest and we reserve the right to close applications before this so please apply promptly.