Secret Compass is a Bristol-based expedition and risk management company, our ambitious projects seek to achieve the extraordinary in the world’s wildest places.
Over the last decade we have completed world-first trekking, packrafting and mountain biking expeditions across the globe, in locations as diverse as South Sudan, North Korea, Afghanistan, DRC and Panama’s infamous Darien Gap. We also support a growing slate of TV and Film projects across the world spanning the breaking news, drama, natural history, reality TV and factual genres.
As the company continues to grow, Secret Compass is recruiting for an exciting new role, Operations Support, to assist us in delivering our growing portfolio of work across our range of projects.
Outline of the role
The successful candidate will be an integral part of the Secret Compass Operations Team, focused on the delivery of high quality, professional support to our wide network of consultants and clients. Building excellent relationships, particularly with our specialist consultants who support us in the delivery of our broad range of projects, is a key aspect to this role. You will be working with the wider Secret Compass team to engage and liaise with consultants, work closely with the Operations Director and support the wider operations team with day to day tasks.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Consultant Engagement. Having an overview of all our projects which requiring consultant staffing, you will work closely with the Project Leads to ensure the right people are assigned to the right projects, over the right time. You will be crucial in managing expectations and communicating requirements to the consultants.
- Consultant Admin Support. Draft and prepare consultant documentation prior to departure. You will do this in close collaboration and discussion with Project Managers and Operations Director.
- Operations Support. Working with the wider operations team, and closely with the Operations Director, to help in the delivery of operational support to the business as required.
- Office Management.Supporting the Operations Director with broad spectrum office management and administration.
The successful candidate will be dynamic, personable and engaging. Ideally, you’ll love building and developing relationships with people whether on the phone, in person or on email. You’ll have a great eye for detail and be keen to oversee the staffing requirements of a broad range of projects and their fluid timelines – you’ll be happy to communicate these changes in a professional, polite and positive manner.
This role requires a dynamic, adaptable and flexible individual who takes a positive, solution-oriented approach to their work. Being highly organised, efficient and personable are essential for this role. Candidates must have excellent time management skills, be team focused and enjoy being client-facing. Strong attention to detail will be crucial for this role.
On-the-ground experience and understanding of the type of projects we deliver is desirable. This could be from the expedition, TV and Film or security sectors and we welcome applicants from a range of backgrounds.
Life at SCHQ
We’re a fun team at SCHQ, we’re busy, with sections of the company spanning the adventure travel, TV and film, risk management, creative production and magazine industries, there is no such thing as a ‘normal’ day.
The dog-friendly office is situated in South Bristol within walking distance of shops, town and a park with many of the team choosing to walk or cycle to work – not exactly a hardship in the South-West’s adventure capital and ‘Best Place to Live in the UK’! Our informal office is populated by ‘outdoorsy-types’ with hobbies ranging from climbing to cycling, horse riding to hiking, and surfing to skiing – and our annual staff days out often reflect these interests with previous trips including coasteering, SUPing and a mountain-bike pub crawl.
Key benefits include:
- Competitive salary dependent on experience
- Comprehensive onboarding and training programme including CPD opportunities
- 20 days leave (increasing each year) plus bank holidays and Christmas close-down
- Generous staff expedition policy and kit discounts
- Pension, cycle to work scheme and options to request specific benefits
- Relaxed dress-code, dog-friendly office, in-house bar, unlimited tea, coffee and strange international concoctions
Applications will be open until a suitable candidate can be found. Please apply early to avoid disappointment.